After installing Windows 10 updates, you may encounter application error 0xc0000142, which may appear randomly several times every hour. It usually occurs on Windows 10 but can sometimes affect other Windows versions.
Here’s an example of the full text of application error 0xc0000142 from a user:
“cmd.exe – Application Error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.”
Most users report cmd.exe error 0xc0000142 when they open games. However, several other users report encountering error 0xc0000142 in other Windows applications such as Office 2016 app.
The app will fail to open, and then an error message will pop up, displaying that the application could not start correctly with the error code 0xc0000142.
Many users ask what causes error 0xc0000142 on their PC since it can cause a lot of trouble on the PC, including failing to open important applications when the user needs them.
Note: Read more about why application error 0xc0000142 occurs and how to fix it in this article: How to Fix Error 0xc0000142.
Why Application Error 0xc0000142 Occurs
In most cases, error 0xc0000142 is application-specific. This means that it occurs because of a fault or faults on a specific application that the user is trying to open.
There could be several reasons why application error 0xc0000142 occurs. Most users have noted that it often occurs after Windows Update. Other than that, it has not been clear what actually causes error 0xc0000142.
Generally, error 0xc0000142 can occur if some specific files are missing or corrupted in the system directory. Other reasons why it could occur include:
- Malware infection
- Overloaded cache memory
- Incomplete Windows Update patches
- The program you’re trying to run is out of date
- Full disk memory
- Incomplete Windows Update installation
Error 0x80004003 may be quiet similar to the error code 0xc0000142 as they both may occur during the app installation.
How to Fix Application Error 0xc0000142
Unlike other common Windows errors, the application error 0xc0000142 has some general fixes that anyone can perform without the need for technical know-how.
Here’s a summary of the methods you can use to fix error 0xc0000142:
- Restart the application you’re trying to access: In most cases, you can fix the error by simply restarting the application you were trying to access.
- Restart your PC: Restating your PC will help to kill other applications that are interfering with the application you’re trying to open as well as restart the program you’re opening so that it can work properly again.
- Temporarily disable any third-party security program, such as antivirus or firewall programs installed on your PC. Then try again to open the program and see if you’re still encountering the same problem.
- Run the application as an administrator if you have the administrator rights; sometimes, the error can occur if you do not have the PC administrator rights to run the program.
- Start your computer in safe mode: Starting your computer in safe mode will allow you to shut down all non-essential programs or applications. After this, you can identify any program that interferes with the application you’re trying to run.
- Perform a clean system boot, which will work like rebooting your computer in safe mode but with the additional advantage of allowing you to find third-party software or applications causing error 0xc0000142.
- Uninstall the application you’re trying to run, then install it again. Ensure you install the most recent version of the program to run in case it was out of date.
- Clear or repair missing or corrupted registry files using the SFC and DISM Windows tools. If the error was occurring because of missing or corrupted registries, these two utility tools can automatically fix the error.
Note: You don’t have to carry out all these solutions. Just try them one by one until you find the one that works for you. Also, ensure you know how to carry out any of the processes before you start working on the steps to avoid causing any damage to your system.
Application error 0xc0000142 is a common Windows error that blocks users from accessing an application or program. However, you can fix it easily if you carefully follow the solutions we’ve provided in this article. You must fix it immediately so that you can continue working on your computer peacefully.